First of all, exactly what is a rain chain? A rain chain is an option to a closed rain gutter. It carries water from your roof gutter down to the ground, where it can drain safely away from the house. A rain chain is made from a variety of different materials, realistically turning a boring rain gutter or metal chain into a pleasing and interesting water feature. Now that you know what it is, let’s see how you can make one! Here are 8 easy-to-make rain chain projects for any homeowner.
1. This DIY ombre rain chain is fashioned easily, using mini terra cotta pots, 8′ of large chain, and 10 chain links small enough to fit through the hole in the bottom of each of the pots. Just paint the pots in varying shades of the same color and attach them to the chain. Thank you, Design Sponge!
2. This rain chain is a project you can do with the help of your local dollar store. You’ll need to purchase two spools of floral wire, 5 to 10 coils of thick floral wire, and a bag of decorative rocks. You’ll also need some paper clips and wire cutters. Dollar Store Crafts has a tutorial that shows you how to put it all together.
3. A simple copper chain made from copper tubing is both functional and beautiful. See how to make this at Instructables.
4. Even if you’ve got a tight budget, you can still make a pretty rain chain out of dollar store zip ties and wooden beads. It’s so simple to make you can probably see exactly how it goes together.
5. With about $30 and an hour to spare, you can put together this rain chain from little metal buckets. I love this one!
6. This rain chain from All Things Heart and Home uses painted terra cotta pots, but also catches the rain at the bottom using a terra cotta saucer filled with river rock. I think it’s beautiful!
7. Here’s a copper rain chain with a copper bowl attached that allows water to spill gently into the ground, reducing erosion.
8. Salvage some spoons from your local thrift store. They make a unique rain chain like this one from Birds and Blooms.
Leave a Reply